Hopkins Marine Station

As the oldest marine laboratory on the West Coast (and the third oldest in the U.S.) Hopkins has a long and eventful history. We acknowledge that Hopkins Marine Station sits on the ancestral land of the Ohlone Rumsen tribe and give thanks for the opportunity to live, work and learn on their traditional homeland. We pay our respects to all Ohlone people, past and present.


Hopkins Marine Station, which occupies an exposed rocky headland named China Point, operates as a branch of The station operates as a branch of the Doerr School of Sustainability of Stanford University. Today, the University holds title to approximately eleven acres on and around China Point which includes roughly one mile of shoreline. The intertidal and offshore waters surrounding the marine station are protected by law as a marine reserve, thereby providing an excellent resource for teaching and research in marine biology. The teaching and research at the station are housed in five main buildings. The chapters presented here outline a portion of the history of Stanford's seaside laboratory. The following chapters tell the early HISTORY of Hopkins Marine Station which begins in 1918.


Below: Photograph of the Agassiz and Aquarium buildings at Hopkins Marine Station