HOPKINS MARINE STATION
Hopkins Marine Station occupies an exposed rocky headland named China Point, as the site was once the location of the Point Alones Chinese fishing village in Pacific Grove, California. The station operates as a branch of the Department of Biological Sciences of Stanford University. Today, the University holds title to approximately eleven acres on and around China Point which includes roughly one mile of shoreline. The intertidal and offshore waters surrounding the marine station are protected by law as a marine reserve, thereby providing an excellent resource for teaching and research in marine biology. The teaching and research at the station are housed in five main buildings. The chapters presented here outline a portion of the HISTORY of Stanford's seaside laboratory.
Below: Photograph of Hopkins Marine Station (1918) which then consisted of one building positioned along the treeless shoreline in Pacific Grove, California