California: Palo Alto Sheet (1895)
This map by R.B. Marshall is extraordinary. It is dated 1895 and covers a large amount of land including nearly all, if not all, of the Stanford lands. He colored in the geology on top of a Palo Alto U.S. Geological Survey map of the area at a scale of 1:15,000. The geology stops at the present day El Camino Real. In blue pen he has included the water features including the San Francisquito Creek and the wetlands of the Bay that extend all the way to approximately the present day Highway 101. He notes the "marsh line" as a dotted line across the top section of the map. This may be the only map from this time depicting the marshlands with such detail at this time.
Topog. geol. [Stanford University] campus (1895)
Solon Shedd mapped the Stanford lands in May 1895. This map includes San Francisquito Creek as it flows through the area near Sand Hill Road. Included on the map are a flume ditch next to the creek, bridges, a quarry, and numerous control points from which triangulation took place. This was clearly a working map created on a plane table. It includes contour lines and numerous spot heights.
Candelaria Mining District, Nevada (1939)
Although not noted in the official record of the yearly surveys, the Survey traveled to Candelaria Mining District in Nevada in 1939 to map the area. It was not unusual for the Survey to map the mining districts of Nevada. This year's maps include a wide variety of products produced by the students including diagrams showing the sections for which the students were responsible, shafts of the Summit King Mine, mining claims of the Dan Tucker Option, Woman of Peace Group, and the Revsbech-White group, geologic maps of the region, cross sections, topographic maps, and a triangulation net.
Geologic map of the southern part of Grouse Creek Mountains, Box Elder County, Utah (1973)
By the 1970's women were routinely participating in the Survey alongside the men. In 1973 they included Mary Lou Chetlain, Gayle Ehret, Sarah T. Pierce, and Lucy K. Sidoric. Women were first allowed to participate in the summer field work with the men in 1964. Before this time the women who insisted on majoring in geology were required to take their field geology coursework at another university. As is noted in the history of the Survey, "In 1964 Cynthia Avery, Rosalind Tuthill, and Judy Terry were permitted to take the Stanford course, and Prof. Arthur Howard reported, 'The experiment worked out so well we no longer have any misgivings.'"
Minerva Canyon, Nevada and Wheeler Peak, Nevada (1993)
This is probably the last map done by the Survey and it was of Minerva Canyon and Wheeler Peak in the Great Basin National Park, Nevada. Elizabeth Miller was the Director of the Survey. She mapped this region with Janet L. Brown, David M. Miller, Michael P. Crane, and P.T. McCarthy. Created with digital mapping tools of a geographic information system, the visualization of the geology was created by computer rather than by hand. The map and paper were presented at the Geological Society of America, 89th annual Cordilleran Section meeting and the 46th annual Rocky Mountain Section meeting.