Various Names of Hopkins Seaside Lab

In the historical photographs of the facility taken before 1906, a large wooden sign engraved with the words “Hopkins Seaside Laboratory” was prominently displayed above the main entrance of the second laboratory building.

In historical photographs presenting the front entrance of this building after the year 1906, show the structure absent the engraved sign. According to the Leland Stanford Junior University Bulletin of 1918: "in 1906, at the request of Mr. [Timothy] Hopkins, the name of the station be changed to the Marine Biological Laboratory." Below: Photograph of the summer class of 1910.

While researching the history of the Hopkins Seaside Laboratory one comes across the many names bestowed upon the facility during its twenty-five years of existence. In several of the Stanford Registers, the teaching and research facility was referred to as “The Hopkins Laboratory of Natural History” (Stanford Annual Register 1892, 1900, 1902-1903, 1903-1904). In the Stanford Bulletin the facility was referred to simply as “The Hopkins Seaside Laboratory” (Stanford Bulletin, 1898, 1899, 1900).

In the Annual Report to the President 1904-1907, we finds no mention of the name “Hopkins Seaside Laboratory” but one does find Charles Henry Gilbert stating the following: The regular session of the Marine Biological Station at Pacific Grove during the summer of 1905 was under the direction of Associate Professor [George C.] Price. This name, the “Marine Biological Laboratory” would be the official name for the rest of the time (1905-1916) the facility was located at Point Aulon (i.e. Lovers Point) (Annual Stanford Registers, 1907-1917). The reason behind CH Gilbert’s referring to the seaside laboratory as the “Marine Biological Station” becomes apparent in the Leland Stanford Junior University Bulletin of 1918. According to the bulletin: in 1906, at the request of Mr. [Timothy] Hopkins, the name of the station be changed to the Marine Biological Laboratory. (4)

In the historical photographs of the facility taken before 1906, a large wooden sign engraved with the words “Hopkins Seaside Laboratory” was prominently displayed above the main entrance of the second laboratory building. In historical photographs presenting the front entrance of this building after the year 1906, show the structure absent the engraved sign. There appears to have been no effort to replace this sign with one that read “Marine Biological Laboratory”


Footnote

(4) Hopkins Marine Station, 1918-19; Leland Stanford Junior University Bulletin. Third Series. Number 2, March 1, 1918.