Hopkins Seaside Laboratory
Stanford University’s HOPKINS SEASIDE LABORATORY was established with an opening ceremony attended by David Starr Jordan on June 27, 1892. The facility was positioned on small treeless plateau referred to locals as Lovers’ Point, a name coined from chapter XI of the book Kate Thurston’s Chautauqua Circles, written by then Secretary of the Pacific Coast Branch of the Chautauqua Literary and Scientific Circle, Mary Hannah Bacon Field. For twenty- three of the next twenty-five years, (the facility did not offer summer courses for two years) Hopkins Seaside Laboratory offered summer instruction to visiting students from the Pacific slope and laboratory space to visiting scientists from around the globe.
Below: Photograph of Hopkins Seaside Laboratory which consisted of two buildings perched on a seaside bluff in Pacific Grove, California.
Below: Photograph of students participating in a summer school of science, in 1906, at Hopkins Seaside Laboratory which, at the time, consisted of two buildings perched on a seaside bluff in Pacific Grove, California.