[Elegischer Gesange, opus 118]
- Uniform title:
- Elegischer Gesang (Sketches)
- Beethoven, Ludwig van, 1770-1827
- Date created:
- Type of resource:
- Notated music
- Notated music
- print, unmediated, volume
- 1 score (2 unnumbered pages) : paper, ink, manuscript ; 18 cm
- Statement of responsibility:
- Title from Catalogue of the Memorial Library of Music, 1950, p. 14.
"This square page is from a sketchbook and represents the left-hand half of an oblong page, and of course the verso, with little music on it but signed attestations, is the right-hand half of an oblong page. The recto is concerned with sketches for op. 118 (they are hard to make sense of, since only the left half of each musical line is present; but the passage on staves 6 and 7 is a version of bars 33-35 of the published work). These sketches extend on to the verso, but apparently end at the top two staves (the incomplete word with the beginning cut off, is "Vollendet", the last word of op. 118. Then Beethoven begins a theme for a sonata, "poco adagio", 2/4 time, A major. The continuation of this theme, which would presumably go on to the beginning of the next two lines, is of course lost."--Letter from Alan Tyson (April 12, 1968) inserted in the Catalogue of the Memorial Library of Music, 1950.
"I have no doubt whatever that this mss is thus the handwriting of Beethoven. H. Gauntlett. 23d Feby. 1857. Written at the desire of D. Raffles, at Field House Bradford Yorkshire."--Inscription in blue ink.
"The above is the attestation of H. Gauntlett Mus. Docto Tho Raffles."--Inscription in black ink.
- Staff notation.
- Memorial Library of Music
- Referenced by:
- Van Patten, N. Catalogue of the Memorial Library of Music, page 14
- Vocal quartets with instrumental ensemble > Scores
Vocal quartets with instrumental ensemble > Scores
- electronic resource
- Use and reproduction:
- Property rights reside with the repository. Literary rights reside with the creators of the documents or their heirs. To obtain permission to publish or reproduce, please contact the Public Services Librarian of the Dept. of Special Collections. Please note that we hold no copyright to the contents in this collection. We cannot grant permissions requests for archival or manuscript collections for which we do not hold copyright.