Contact Us

Parker Library On the Web Manuscripts in the Parker Library at Corpus Christi College, Cambridge

Cambridge, Corpus Christi College, MS 201: Old English Religious and Legal Texts, many by Wulfstan.

IIIF Drag-n-drop
Cambridge, Corpus Christi College, MS 201: Old English Religious and Legal Texts, many by Wulfstan.
Alternate Title:
Wulfstani Homiliae. Leges, Canones, etc.
English, Old (ca. 450-1100) and Latin
ff. 2 + 73 + 16 + 42 + 1
Approximate Date:
[ca. 1000 - 1099]
Parker Manuscripts
CCCC MS 201 is a composite volume which can be divided chronologically into three parts, probably first bound together by Parker. Pp. 1-7 and 161-7 are the oldest, written in the early eleventh century; they contain a fragment of the Old English Regularis concordia, the code of monastic observance, and some Old English religious poems, most notably Judgement Day II, a translation of Bede's De die iudicii. The rest of the volume up to p. 178 was written probably in the first half or middle of the eleventh century, and contains a large number of sermons by Archbishop Wulfstan (d. 1023), as well as a collection of ecclesiastical material, mostly in the vernacular. It has been interpreted as a version of Archbishop Wulfstan's Handbook. It contains several law codes, predominantly the work of Wulfstan himself, the Old English tract on the resting places of saints, and the Old English romance Apollonius of Tyre. Bishop identified a scribe in this section of the book as working at the New Minster, Winchester, but a Worcester or York association has also been suggested, since these were the main seats of Wulfstan himself. The third part was written at Exeter in the time of Bishop Leofric (1050-72) and was probably once part of CCCC MS 196. It contains the bilingual version of Theodulf of Orléans (d. 821), Capitula, a homily, and part of the Martyrology of Usuard (fl. 841-58). This manuscript did not come to Corpus Christi with the rest of the Corpus Parkerian collection in 1575, and is not included in the Parker Register; instead it was one of the large number of books which Archbishop Parker gave to his son John Parker, who played an active role in his father's circle of scholarship. It had arrived at Corpus by 1600, before the later financial troubles which probably led to the majority of John Parker's books travelling to Trinity College via the gift of Neville. The manuscript later acquired a contents-list by the great Anglo-Saxonist Abraham Wheelock (d. 1653).