The Temple of Divus Hadrianus on the Campus Martius was dedicated by Antoninus Pius in 145 A.D. The remains of the cella wall and eleven marble columns of the north side still stand on the Piazza di Pietra. Parts of the marble decoration of the podium or of the inner pedestals have been found at different times during the 16th, 17th and 19th centuries. They bear symbolic representations of the provinces, weapons and trophies. Parts of the cornice are also extant.
In 1889 a sanctuary dedicated to Hercules was discovered on the right bank of the Tiber, within the confines of Caesar’s gardens. On the evidence of a statuette representing Hercules reclining at a table, which was found in a niche of the aedicula, the sanctuary has been identified with the Hercules Cubans, mentioned in the Regionary Catalogue (regio XIV). The epistyle of the niche and two altars standing in front of it bear the inscriptions of its dedication by L. Domitius Permissus. (CIL VI, 30891, 30892). At the sides of the shrine, which was cut into the tufa, there were seven busts of charioteers, set on hermae. The sanctuary was destroyed, but the tufa statuette of Hercules Cubans, the two altars and the seven busts are conserved in the Museo Nazionale Romano.
A warehouse identified by the inscription on an altar as Horrea Agrippiana has been excavated since 1903, on the Vicus Tuscus, south west of Domitian’s vestibule to the Domus Tiberiana. The building was erected either by Agrippa himself, or in his honour. The main court was surrounded by tabernae, all built of tufa blocks, while the smaller rooms of an inner court were built of brick. Arcades resting on columns and half columns surrounded the court.
The warehouses known as Horrea Galbae were located immediately behind the Porticus Aemilia (q. v.) together with which they are recorded on a slab of the Severan marble plan (FUR Tav. XXIV). They date from the republican period and were restored by the Emperor Galba. Between 1885 and 1925, when the city district of Monte Testaccio was built, remains of the Horrea have repeatedly come to light. A row of connecting chambers, and the foundations of the portico surrounding the western court were uncovered in 1955, when the foundations of a house were being excavated at the corner of the via Zabaglia and Piazza S. Maria Liberatrice.
In 1899 the Sacra Via was excavated in front of the Basilica of Constantine to pre-Neronian levels. On the north side rows of shops were found, with a travertine portico lying in front and to the west, which continued under the basilica. This complex of warehouses and shops was covered by Nero’s Sacra Via and the colonnades lying on either side of the entrance to the Domus Aurea. In place of the demolished tabernae Domitian built the Horrea Piperataria in the Neronian portico on the north side of the Sacra Via. It was a bazaar for eastern goods, pepper and spices; the westernmost tabernae bordered on the Forum Pacis (q. v. I, 536, 541). The building was twice destroyed by fire, in 191 A.D. under Commodus and in 284 A.D. under Carinus. The Basilica of Constantine was built on its ruins.
These gardens on the Pincio belonged to the family of the Acilii Glabriones in the 2nd century A.D. The exact dimensions are not known, but architectural remains reach from the Church of SS. Trinita dei Monti to the Aurelian Wall, between Porta del Popolo and Muro Torto. In the south-eastern part of the Villa Medici a Belvedere is built on an octagonal ancient building which may well have belonged to the Horti Aciliorum. A semi-circular nymphaeum with a stair-way, immediately north of SS. Trinita dei Monti, is known from 16th century documents and drawings. The foundation walls of the gardens on the north and east with the so-called Muro Torto were incorporated in Aurelian’s fortifications. Their 1st century B.C. walls were re-faced between 1860 and 1870.
The gardens which were laid out in 40 B.C. by the historian C. Sallustius Crispus stretched from the northern slope of the Quirinal to the line of the later Aurelian wall, and in the east as far as Via Piave (formerly Via di Porta Salaria), the western boundary is uncertain. The palace stood in the valley between the Quirinal and the Pincio, which was filled up in 1883. Its remains are still visible in the middle of Piazza Sallustio 14 m. below street level. A casino in the Egyptian style stood on the Pincio with an obelisk (s. Obeliscus Hortorum Sallustianorum) to the west of it, and beyond Via Lucullo was a 2nd century cryptoporticus. A wall with niches, dating from the time of Sulla, closed the valley and had no architectural connection with the buildings on the hill. The Temple of Venus Erucina of 181 B.C., after having been included in the gardens was known as Venus Hortorum Sallustianorum and probably stood at the intersection of Via Lucania and Via Sicilia.