Manuscript leaf with commentary by Bede.
- Uniform title:
- Bible. O.T. Exodus
- France, circa 1175, [1170-1180?]
- Type of resource:
- Mixed material
- 1 leaf, on vellum. 32x20.8 cm. Matted.
- This text (28:16-26) has the better part of the description of the garments of the priests contained in the verses of Exodus 28. It is written in a large textura hand, each sentence or lengthy phrase beginning with a red or blue capital. The Biblical text is presented in a single, narrow column just under 2" wide. To its left and right is the extensive commentary of Bede (ca. 672-735), the Anglo-Saxon Benedictine scholar and theologian. The commentary is written in a smaller textura hand. There is additional inter-linear commentary within the column of Bible text in an even smaller hand.
- Reported to: The Bibliographic Society of America publication on pre-1600 manuscript holdings in North America.
- In Latin.
Purchased, 1999. Accession 1999-247.
- Bede, The Venerable, Saint, 673-735
Bible O.T. Exodus > Commentaries
Decoration and ornament, Medieval > France
- Department of Special Collections, Stanford University Libraries, Stanford, CA 94305
- Use and reproduction:
- Property rights reside with the repository. Literary rights reside with the creators of the documents or their heirs. To obtain permission to publish or reproduce, please contact the Special Collections Public Services Librarian at firstname.lastname@example.org.