French correspondents of major Enlightenment figures
- Enlightenment, Electronic, Comsa, Maria, Conroy, Melanie, Edelstein, Dan, Edmondson, Chloe, Willan, Claude, and d'Alembert, Groupe
This dataset merges 1) metadata from the Electronic Enlightenment Project at Oxford University for the French correspondents of important Enlightenment figures (including Voltaire, Rousseau, Hume, and Smith); with 2) metadata from the Groupe d'Alembert (led by Irène Passeron) concerning d'Alembert's French correspondents. These data were subsequently 3) enriched by a group of researchers at (or formerly at) Stanford: Maria Comsa, Melanie Conroy, Dan Edelstein, Chloe Edmondson, and Claude Willan. We applied a metadata ontology ("Procope") that classifies prosopographical data according to a hierarchical, controlled vocabulary, and added further data about academy and salon memberships. Details about Procope are available as an appendix to "The French Enlightenment Network," Journal of Modern History 88, no. 3 (2016): 495-534.
NB: the letter count columns (F-H) are not all up-to-date, due to discrepancies between the original data dump from EEP and subsequent revisions to their database.
- Enlightenment, France, networks, correspondence, Electronic Enlightenment Project, and CESTA
- Data, Data sets, and dataset
- Mapping the Republic of Letters
- November 18, 2016, August 13, 2021, December 5, 2022, and 2014